|Home Square Dance Classes Square Dance Schedule Round Dance Class & Dance Schedule Dance Data Newsletter Events Anniversaries|
CET Minutes—October 8 , 2017
The Council of East Tennessee Square and Round Dance Clubs, Inc. met October 8, 2017. Due to weather and traffic, there was not a quorum, so the meeting began a bit late. President , Jean Hiser called the meeting to order at 2:12 p.m. and led the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
Barbara Shelton, Secretary presented the minutes. R.G. Pratt from Knoxville Squares made a motion that the minutes be accepted as written. Mike Burton from Little T Squares seconded the motion. The motion was approved.
Maxine Schultz presented the treasurer’s report in absence of Sandy Behm. She stated that the Council began the period with a total of $4064.13. We had $274.89 in income, and $208.19 in expenses leaving the Council with $4130.83. All of the clubs have paid their dues for the Fiscal year 2017/2018 (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018). Philip McLemore of Wagon Wheelers had a question regarding the numeration of two checks. Maxine referred to Bob Schultz . Bob corrected stating that Check number #1157 dated 9-July was for the Dance Data #143 and Check #1158 was dated 7-October was for the Meeting hall rental. Philip McLemore of Wagon Wheelers made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report as amended. Pat Blackmore from Secret City seconded the motion. The treasurer’s report was accepted.
No Vice President Report.
No Area III or V report.
R.G. Pratt made a report on the recent Tennessee State Convention. He stated it was the largest we had with over 1200 dancers present. This was more dancers than in years past. Mike Burton complemented R.G. on the success of the convention. R.G. said it was due to the staff and volunteers on the different committees and that they were already working on next years convention.
Old Business: Jean Hiser appointed a committee to work with Larry Dunkel on the Dance Data format. The committee consisted of Bruce Roberts, Chair; Doug Greenlee of Claxton Country Squares, Jack Rosenberger and Larry Dunkel, Dance Data Editor and Publisher. They met and after several discussions with Larry, presented the following recommendations:
1. That the DD be printed with a heavy card stock front and back cover. This
will increase the cost of DD and needs to be covered by outside advertising.
2. That the front and back cover of DD be printed in color, inside and out.
3. That the outside cover space be sold to callers and others wishing to advertise dances or other events at a price of $40.00 (for a caller or member of CET) and $50.00 for national callers or others not residing
In the area of CET, for the full page, in color. Events such as the Turkey Strut, Heart of the Smokies, and other dances and events would be able to reach 300 or more of their prime customers using this space.
4. That the inside cover and the inside back cover be sold to callers or others wishing to advertise dances or other events or businesses at a price of $25.00( for a caller or dancer residing in the area of CET) or $35.00 for a caller or other advertiser living outside the CET area, for a full page in color.
5. That the Editor and committee be free to adjust these prices as demand allows to insure the DD is self-supporting.
6. That the editor investigate demand for advertising of all kinds, and if sufficient, that a middle of the issue advertising page be designed. Charges for space on these pages to be determined by the committee and the editor.
7. That the price for club flyers be fixed at 6 cents per page; the total pages to be calculated after the DD is laid out. This will make it easy for the Editor to bill the clubs and not have to wait until after printing is done and then require a lot of per page calculations.
8. The the CET board requests a volunteer to assist the Editor in contacting potential advertisers for the DD.
9. That the DD continue to be made available free to all dancers in the CET area, via distribution of the DD to the clubs.
A lively discussion was held regarding the proposals. After a few comments and the discussion, Mike Burton made the motion that the Council accept the proposals of the Dance Data committee with Pat Blackmore making the second . The report from the committee was approved.
Neither Wagon Wheelers nor Claxton had contacted their respective clubs to host the Council Dance on March 31st, which is the Saturday before Easter. It was brought up that the clubs could co-host the Council Dance. Delegates are communicating with the respective clubs. More will be presented later.
Good and Welfare
Paul and Sandy Thompson
Tom Miller – A national Caller
Callers and Cuers: Jack Rosenberger has supplied a “sound” system for our meetings so that everyone can hear better.
The State Board meeting is October 21-22, 2017. It is the Mid-South Convention in the Memphis area.
Next Council meeting is January 7, 2018, the next Dance Data deadline is January 5, 2018. The Dance Data distribution is to be at Little Ts on January 19, 2018. Pat made the motion to accept the date of the next council meeting and Gwyn Rosenberger seconded the motion. Motion was accepted by all.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:05.